Director of Dining Services
Working at MBK Senior Living is more than a job-it is an opportunity to enrich the lives of seniors, their families, the professionals that serve them plus be a part of a dynamic and growing team! Our positions provide the opportunity for associates to share their passion and dedication while making a difference in the lives of our storied residents every day.
We are currently seeking a Director of Dining Services for our Welbrook Arlington community in Riverside, CA.
The Director of Dining Services plans, organizes, develops and directs the overall operation of the Dining Services Department, in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations. Additionally, this position is responsible for assuring that our residents receive appetizing, nutritional meals in accordance with budgets, while demonstrating the Principles and Core Values that MBK embraces, by hiring, training and managing a quality staff. The Director of Dining Services is responsible for implementing all MBK training programs, menu planning, resident food committee agenda follow through, Dietary Notification procedures and collaborative events and functions with the community Activity and Marketing Departments.
Essential Job Duties (Include % of time for each responsibility):
- Manage, plan, develop, organize, schedule, evaluate, and direct the Dining Services Department (30%)
- hire, train, supervise and manage the work performance of the Dining Services associates, by delivering nutritional meals of appropriate standards for residents in a clean, safe and sanitary manner
- ensure that all associates wear proper attire
- ensure that all established rules regarding safety regulations, proper food handling and correct utilization of culinary equipment and supplies are followed
- ensure a sanitary work environment and comply with all health and safety codes, State licensing regulations and policies and procedures regarding proper storage, handling and serving of food
- conduct in-service classes for all Dining Services associates
- develop and implement policies/processes to ensure that food is ready on time and proper temperature levels are met
- Assist Cooks and other Dining Services associates with their job duties (15%)
- and assume their job activities when necessary
- Order food in accordance with planned menus and budgets (20%):
- maintain accurate budget, inventory and portion controls and work within the guidelines set forth in the budget
- maintain accurate inventories
- train all staff members to eliminate waste and receive orders that are correct in quality, quantity and price
- inspect all food storage locations for cleanliness, upkeep and supply control
- Perform all administrative duties (30%) accurately and timely including:
- Associate evaluations, necessary forms including temperature track forms, dishwasher sanitizing, menu substitution, , reports, evaluations, studies, surveys, purchase orders, weekly/monthly menu planning, event planning with Activities and Marketing etc.
- Ensure that all associates successfully complete the MBK Dining Room Training Course
- Coordinate completion and implementation of MBK required Dietary Communication Notification form with Health Services.
- Conduct required monthly MBK internal quality assurance audit
- This internal Quality Assurance Audit takes about 1 ½- 2 hours, once per month. The DDS will use it as a training and mentoring tool with a key dining services associates, such as the Lead Cook, or the Dining Room Supervisor. All "No Pass" items, will be addressed right away by the DDS with an appropriate plan of correction, and in-serviced accordingly with all associates.
- Manage all MBK required purchase management Spend Down
- The DDS is responsible for all department purchasing which includes raw food, supplies, small wares, linen, uniforms, liquor. Budget amounts for a given month are provided by the ED, after they have completed the EAP process with their respective DO. All of the MBK vendors that we use are pre-approved and are established accounts, and preferred pricing with incentive programs built into them.
- Manage MBK required schedule labor hours management tools
- The DDS is responsible for creating both the Front of the House/ Server, and the Back of the House/ Cook-Dishwasher schedules. This process includes determine the most appropriate shift start and completion times, to ensure proper coverage for three meals per day, including setup/transition and closing responsibilities. The total hours on these schedules, must agree with budgeted hours for the department. The schedule must be posted appropriately ahead of time, so that all dining associates can note their schedules, and plan accordingly.
- Community EAP (Expense Adjustment Plan)
- The DDS would inform the ED if there are any pertinent purchases projected for the upcoming month, such as needing more china/flatware/glassware that might impact the u2018small wares' budget. The community raw food budget is determined by a flexible PRD- per resident day formula, which is always the number of residents with double occupancy times the days in that month times the community PRD for raw food. For example: 150 residents X 31 days in the month X $6.00 PRD= $27,900.00 for raw food.
- Establish a Food Committee and/or survey and visit with residents regularly (5%) to:
- determine resident special likes/dislikes
- tailor food program as much as possible to accommodate results/requests
Non-Essential Job Duties:
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned/requested by the Executive Director
- Understand and comply with all federal, state and local regulations and community policies and procedures concerning the department
- Aid in community marketing effort through positive interactions, dress and behavior
- Promote and lead with a spirit of teamwork and open communication in accordance with MBK principles and core values
- Display tact and friendliness when dealing with residents, associates, and visitors
- Promote a spirit of teamwork and cooperation in accordance with the MBK principles and core values
- Must possess the ability and desire to minimize waste and misuse of supplies/equipment
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining office supply inventory
- Attend morning staff meetings
Supervisory/Management Responsibilities (Job Title(s) & # of Employees):
- Dishwasher = 1 to 7 employees, average= 4 to 5 employees
- Cook = 1 to 6 employees, average= 3 to 4 employees
- Lead Cook = 0 to 1 employees, not one in every community
- Dining Room Supervisor = 0 to 2 employees, not one in every community
- Server = 3 to 18 employees, average= 8 to 11 employees (some report to DR Supervisor)
Minimum Job Requirements (Include: Education, Experience, Special Skills, Licenses, Certifications):
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be 18 years old or have the proper work permit and authorization documentation
- Background clearances (as required by government regulations) is mandatory
- Complete a health screening and provide negative TB test results (must be within the last 6 months or within 7 days of employment) is mandatory
- Must have a minimum of at least five years of directly related experience
- in a related position, or as a chef, or in another related culinary role
- Must be able to operate standard food production equipment
- Must have solid pc skills and be familiar with several Microsoft Office Suite software programs (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Email, etc.), and other office equipment (e.g. scanners, copiers, and fax machines)
- Must have the ability to perform mathematical calculations (addition, subtraction and multiplication) in support of financial responsibilities, budget, and personnel actions
- Excellent communication skills are required
- including the ability to speak, write and read English
- Must be able to explain and communicate information to a wide audience and at different levels of understanding, both in writing and verbally
- Must be able to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant, and to remain calm during stressful or emergency situations
- Must be able to deal tactfully and professionally at all times with personnel, residents, family members, and guests
Preferred Job Requirements (Include: Education, Experience, Special Skills, Licenses, Certifications):
- Some college coursework in Culinary Arts or the Hospitality field, and/or some formal training from a related culinary or technical school is preferred and highly desirable
- Bachelor's Degree is highly desirable
- Prior supervisory or lead experience with a staff of six or more employees is strongly preferred
Physical Demands (Include: Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling, Bending, Walking, Standing, and Sitting):
- Able to perform the physical requirements of the job
- Must be mobile and able to move intermittently throughout the work day and throughout the community
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs., push and pull carts as necessary
- May need to assist in the moving of residents in emergency situations
MBK Senior Living is a dynamic, growing company that opened its first senior living community in 2004. We currently have thirty-three communities in six states.
As an MBK community associate, you will enjoy the genuine spirit of caring and collaboration that makes each of our communities so well respected within their local neighborhood. In addition, you will become part of an ever increasing community of professionals who have the passion and dedication of building meaningful relationships with our residents and their families now and for years to come.
We offer a rich benefit package including; competitive salaries, 401k retirement plan with employer matching, comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, and paid time off.
If you are ready to meet the challenges of this critical role, we want to hear from you!
All associates prior to commencing employment and once employed must not be considered an "Excluded Party" as defined by the Medicare and state Medicaid Programs as well as other federal and state government contract programs. If as an associate you learn you are an Excluded Party, you must present your Excluded Party notice letter to your supervisor immediately. An Excluded Party is a person that the federal or state government found not eligible to provide care and services in a Community that receives Medicare or Medicaid funding. In addition, at all times, during your employment, all associates must be in compliance with certain laws and regulations that affect the company, including but not